Shrimp and Grits, a Cozy Fall Favorite
Craving cozy fall goodness? Pick an effortless dish that’s easy to enjoy on board, wherever you’re cruising this fall: shrimp and grits!
A southern favorite, this soothing staple is beloved across the country for its creamy, comforting nature and touch of seafood flair—and it pairs perfectly with your Monterey adventures! Just read on as we share a simple recipe for shrimp and grits that are sure to please.
You will need…
- 1 cup coarsely ground white grits (we love this pick for its texture and mild flavor!)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 lbs. peeled and deveined shrimp
- ½ lb. bacon
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 green onions
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish
- Bring milk and chicken broth to a boil, then add grits and cook until tender (typically 10 – 15 minutes, depending on your grits). Mix in butter and cheese and set aside.
- Cook bacon and set aside, saving the grease for your shrimp!
- Next, cook rinsed shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side; once cooked, add garlic, onion, red pepper and lemon juice and sauté.
- Add shrimp mixture and chives to your grits and enjoy warm, creamy spoonful after spoonful.
How to enjoy on board
This simple shrimp and grits recipe works deliciously alongside beautiful water views—your favorite breezy ocean spot or sandbar as you idle, or perhaps docked up overlooking a beautiful Southern lake. From the comfort of your Monterey, it’s all fair game!
Depending on your unique Monterey, you might have everything you need to prepare this Southern staple right on board (on the 335SY, for example, you’ll find a lux, conveniently equipped galley below deck—the perfect ride for cruising foodies). You might also heat up your cozy comfort food in your on-board microwave, or simply scoop it all into a thermos before heading out so it’s still warm by lunchtime! Whatever your culinary style may be, there’s a Monterey option for you.
Dig in to this flavorful fuel and savor the on-the-water fun ahead! Be sure to let us know if you have a favorite seafood recipe or comfort food go-to. We’d love to hear it.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!